Sunday, January 25, 2009

Lucky Chap

If I look back on my academic career I find myself lucky that I got some fabulous teachers who not only were very good in teaching were also a very good source of inspiration and motivation that made learning easier.

I would take this opportunity to thank them who has greatly contributed to me and making me a person that I am today.

I would like to start in the reverse chronology.

Ya first in XLRI Pitabas Mohanty, be it Corporate Finance, Security Analysis , Portfolio Management , Excel Modelling or for the matter of fact any area in Finance , he is a genius. I happened to take 3 courses of his, and my adoration for him went on increasing in each course. I sincerely wish that he could have taken all the finance course in XLRI. The rigour of his analysis and the immense research work he has undertaken makes him certainly stand out. The ease with which he can explain things and the give sound theoretical background for it is just amazing. No doubt he has co –authored the legendary books with Brealey Myers and Bodie Kane. I sincerely own all my knowledge in finance that I gathered in XLRI to him.

Another thing I liked about his classes were that, he didn’t allow any ACP and DCP in the class  :P :D

The other person has to Prof S .Govindrajan , though took only half of the sessions of Sales and Distribution , but he is another genius of his area. It was first time in XLRI that I did enjoy any marketing course and it was for the first time marketing did make some sense to me, otherwise it has been too abstract for me to digest. Though his rendezvous with me was so small that I cant say much about him but whatever it was it was a great learning experience for me.

In IIT it has to be Ashish Darpe another genius, although a Prof of Solid Mechanics area ,but can teach anything that required brains. Simply awesome brain, memory and aptitudes. Any questions asked in class (how so ever good)pat came the reply. I remember very clearly he catching Keshav for proxying even in a batch of 66 odd people , right on day 4, when most profs don’t even know the name of single guy. The beauty of it was not that he remembered the name but some how he figured out that he was not the right guy. Though one would not get the entire episode , but believe me he was really awesome. Thought there were some other great professors of engineering design But I simply did not have any aptitude for drawing and sketches and as usual struggled with it. But whatever I could understand I thought there were good.

In FIITJEE during my IIT JEE preparation I think I got the best faculty who could have taught an IIT aspirant and I sincerely own my IIT success to them (apart from my parents and friends at DPS RK Puram). Be it the physics faculty Mr. Neelkamal Setia aur Chemistry faculty Mr. Partho Halder they were simply amazing . the clarity of concept and the ease with which they solved students problems were seriously out of the world. They made even very typical problems look like a sitter. However I have some reservations about the Maths faculty dude to a personal reason , it was not that he was not good , but he had the problem of starting the topic with a very difficult problem and the going to super hard , ultra hard and them to mega hard which made me keep guessing as to what was going around. That was may be due to fact that I wasn’t that good in maths as was in physics or chemistry. But whenever I did my initial preparation before going to his class I found them immensely useful, but such occasions were only occasional.

Well in DPS due to a very limited number of courses got to see only a few teachers and maybe amongst them the best I could say is Ms Minu Kanwar was the best. She was quite affectionate and sweet and she would be the only faculty whom I really adored amongst all I got to see in DPS.

Ya in St. Joseph’s  it was Ms Florence ,Girdhar Sir , Lalit Sir . Ms Florence was my class teacher in UKG but still I remember about her till today. Right from the day 1 I went to UKG to the last day of that class in UKG. She left the school after I went to next class. She is the woman whom I respect and adore the most after my mom. The care she took in the class and the way she paid attention to children will ever remain with me. She never made me feel absence of my mom in the school and I never complained about going to school.

 Girdhar Sir for being an ocean of knowledge. Incidentally whatever he used to teach always remained with me. Thought I did not take biology after class X , but still I remember a lot of it till today. His lectures most of the people found boring but I seriously differ. Only the practical gave me nightmares because it required sketches L.

Lalit Sir because of his dedication and perseverance. Thought he was not one born great but he sincerely achieved it with his hardwork and dedication. He was really dedicated for the students.

I would like to close by thanking my teachers  Birender Sir , Mritunjay Sir and Bhavendra Sir who were really great and played a great great role in my academic success.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment